Re: RPM'S

On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 09:03:51 -0500 "Victor Farren"
<vfarren@smtp.cdie.org> writes:
>This all depends on what type of transmission you have, assuming that
you
>are running w/ the stock wheels.  I have a 4k tranny which is a close
>ratio tranny.  Better for acceleration, but not so good for highway
>cruising.

I just put in a 4K in my GLi and swapped the 5th gear to a .71 and also a
lightened flywheel. Its a really tall gear and the shift from 4th to 5th
is a 1,000rpm drop but it pulls the gear just fine on the freeway. The 9A
I had in there was a little taller geared tranny (Not by much. The
difference was the R&P ratios.) and I feel like the car is much peppier
now and it definately pulls the 5th gear better than the 9A did.
Banging 1-3 gears is so much fun, I took it on a "post tranny
instalation" test run thru some of the canyons by where I work (Never any
traffic, I love it.) and it was a blast. Its almost as much fun to drive
as my Roc!

>When I am going 60 mph, my tach is pegged at 3,000 rpms, at
>80mph it is pegged at 4,000 rpms.  I am thinking about doing a 5th gear
>conversion just so I can cruise a little easier on the highway.

now 5th gear at 60 mph is 2,650 rpms with the .71 in there. FYI.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and