RE: Questions on buying 16vs

hmmm, i've never heard about any stress cracks specific to the 16V's,
the only ones i've heard about are around the two front shock towers,
but it was for all sciroccos, not just 16V's...  things to check though
are:

1. oil in distributor cap.  if its leaking oil, you need a new
di$tributor
2. any grinding, metallic noises from tranny.  self machine syndrome.
mine went about 3 years ago.  put it in 5th gear, go about 30 and slowly
ease the gas on and off.  listen for a clicking/grinding sound.  if it
does, move on or be prepared to replace the transmission (you probably
know about this already having owned sciroccos already)
3. CV's wear out faster on 16V's
4. flex coupling between exhaust manifold and downpipe.  if it's bad you
need either a whole new flex coupling/downpipe/cat (it's one piece), or
you can get the flex coupling repair kit from TT, but you'll have to do
some cutting and welding.
5. people usually drive the 16V's with a little more "verve" so they are
usually more abused than the 8V's.  so the motor mounts are probably
shot.
6. electric windows (especially the pass. side, don't ask why) will
sometimes get stuck shut in really hot weather.  then a week later, will
work normal.  i still haven't found the problem
7. sunroof will leak if it's not seated properly, and check the seal
around the outside, it'll wear out.  also, if it's really hard to open,
don't force it or you'll break those little plastic thingies that
open/close it.  these wear out and get too much free play and get stuck.
 i only think you can replace the entire assembly.
8. your face may get stuck in a huge grin when the tach needle passes
4K.  this, unfortunately, is a problem none of us 16V'ers have found a
solution to...

it's early and i haven't had any coffee yet, so that's about all i can
think of right now, i'm sure you know what else to look for.  if anyone
notices that i forgot anything, please add to the list.  (16V specific
problem areas).

chris
86 16V scirocco