Questions on buying 16vs

Although I'm happy with my 85 scirocco, there is an 87 16v for sale in
my area. I've driven 8vs for over ten years, but don't know much about
the 16vs, so I'd like to know some things to look for. I've heard people
talk about "stress cracks." I've heard 16vs have problems here. What do
they look like, and where are they most typically found? This car has
about 100k on it, no rust I can see. They want $2,700 for it. Any advice
from experienced 16v pilots would be appreciated.

Jorel
85 Wolf