Re: Brake Basics

On Mon, 04 Jan 1999 02:22:22 -0800 T Berk <tberk@mindspring.com> writes:

>This sounds like the better than stock, not too way out setup-
>
>Fedoro (sp) pads

F-e-r-o-d-o-.
Fedoro's are those little tiny cigs that Clint Eastwood smokes in them
spaghetti westerns. Looks cool, taste like crap.  :)

Ferodo pads are my first choice for a daily driven (Driven hard and
Autoxed often) street car. Great cold, great warm and great hot.
Brake dust is about the same as stock pads. Maybe a little more?

>ATE slotted rotors

They do ass a little more to the brake system as well as look
disgustingly cool at stoplights. :) The stock vented rotors do a great
job on their own as well.

>Blue Dot brake fluid.

Ive got mixed feelings about this stuff. Racers tell me that unless you
do fluid changed often you run the risk of moisture buildup in the brake
system. While I do tend to flush the system about once a year and do some
spot bleeding thorough the year, im not comfortable enough to use the
stuff in my Roc. I use right off the shelf castrol GTLMA. Its not the
best brake fluid in the market of brake fluids but for what I use it for,
ive never had a brake fade on me so it works well enough for me to use as
well as know it wont suck the water right out of the air.
Oh, just noticed it doesn't say "Blue Dot Racing Fluid". Maybe there's
another fluid your talking about and im just babbling again?? LOL!

>My own seeming stock brakes seem to 'pulse' when used at high speeds
>and I'm think while they are passing the eyeball test they are in need
of
>replacemnet. Those three items are on my list of next upgrades.
>
>$0.02,
>TBerk

Saying "warped" and "Tman" in the same sentence seems somehow -- normal.
LOL!
It sounds like you definitely have warped rotors. The difference is
they're only slightly warped. (hence, they pulse only at high speeds.)
They will get worse as time goes along but they should be safe and last
you until after your spring suspension project.

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and