Weird Start Problems

I should start by saying that I'm back from my little vacation.  To all,
Season's Greetings and Happy New Year.........

Fortunately enough, I didn't take my car on our trip.  However, I went to
start the car today and no juice.  I boosted it and it was running fine.
After let it run for about 20 minutes and then drove it for another 10
minutes, I get home and try to start it and there's no juice to get it
running.  Well, actually, it started when I cranked it the first time (this
was immediately after I shut the car off).  I tried starting it about two
minutes later and it was dead.  I read late last night an e-mail which
outlined the various tests to do to check the alt. and bat. but I don't
remember which one it was or if I had deleted it.  If someone could simply
send it to me if you recall which one it was.  Also, if my battery is dead,
would the car run once boosted.  If the alt is shot would it crank when I
try immediately after I shut it off.  I don't even know when I should even
start to look at or for.  Thanks.

Sal