return of stick shift 'play'

I just finished up the job of replacing the worn out parts of my stick
shift:  Entire base assembly (include all plastic parts), and bushings &
shoulder bolt for 1st joint (between shift lever and selector rod).

Shifting is now 80% better, but I still have about .5" 'play' right-to-left
(used to be at least 1.5") and same amount of 'play' forward-and-backward
(like 2" or so)...  is this normal, or am I missing something?

Also, is the only way to shorten the shifting distance between gears (like
from 2nd to 3rd) to cut down the shift lever?  and if so, how much should I
cut off?

-Aaron
 84 8V