Re: return of stick shift 'play'

>I just finished up the job of replacing the worn out parts of my stick
>shift:  Entire base assembly (include all plastic parts), and bushings &
>shoulder bolt for 1st joint (between shift lever and selector rod).
>
>Shifting is now 80% better, but I still have about .5" 'play' right-to-left
>(used to be at least 1.5") and same amount of 'play' forward-and-backward
>(like 2" or so)...  is this normal, or am I missing something?

I really suspect that for our cars that are 10-15 years old that this may
be a fact of life.   I just had the shifter bushings replaced in my 87 16v
and have the same end result as you do.  almost .5" play all the way
around.  Shifting is light and easy but the play is still slightly
annoying.

>Also, is the only way to shorten the shifting distance between gears (like
>from 2nd to 3rd) to cut down the shift lever?  and if so, how much should I
>cut off?

I've heard this is possible, but I'm reluctant to do it.  I'm not into
street rodding so I don't have a need for the fastest possible shifts.  I
kinda like the placement of the gearshift in 1st, 3rd and 5th; makes
changing stations on the my factory stereo nice and easy.  Just extend a
finger and there it is.

I've also seen the short-shift kits.    A few hundred bucks and you get
shorter, smoother shifts.  Come to think of it, it would probably cut down
on play since everything from the shiftknob down to the transmission gets
replaced (as I understand it, please correct me if I'm wrong).

Hope this helps.

derek tarvin
87 16v Scirocco
{supposedly getting some cash from the uninsured imbecil that decided to
rearrange my rear bumper}