Scirocco vs. GTi

With the impeding purchase of my autocross vehicle for this season looming, I
figured I'd play devil's advocate and put this question to the list:
What is the advantage, if any, of a Scirocco 16V over a similar vintage GTI
16V?

Didn't the 16V GTI's have a shorter wheelbase than the 16V Sciroccos? I would
think that this would be better for autocrossing.

Any thoughts?

Benjamin
New London, CT
93 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 164k miles
85 Saab 900 Turbo 224k miles (the AutoXer)
84 Volvo GLT Turbo Wagon 189k miles (4 sale)
78 AMC Gremlin 76k miles (don't ask)
Impending VW Scirocco 16v purchase :-)