Re: Window leak veterans?

Pete Jacobsen wrote:

> If you live in Vancouver or Victoria, you know we've been getting pissed
> on lately... anyways, my drivers' side "smoker's window" has developed a
> leak. It's only noticeable if I spray it directly with a hose, but a
> leak is a leak. It seems to be dripping in from underneath the window
> somehow, through the black edging. What can I do to pinpoint the leak
> and fix it?

Black Silicon, in this case with a smaller tip than used for the front
windshield gasket sealing, pushed up under the rubber and forced into
the space so that some squeezes out may help to create a watertight
seal. In a case such as this where it's small and tight, this may not be
as feasible as on the windshield. Perhaps some disassembly of the
window, allowing access to the under parts and sheet metal it sets on,
would help. I'd like to mention that all our cars are getting on in
years and the rubber is shrinking back. I've seen people mention
petroleum jelly as a restorative, I'm not 100% sure this would be the
best. In any case, I'm pretty sure Silicon base products (Armor All
stuff, as opposed to the previously mentioned sealant) are not the thing
needed, but something to 'fatten up' the rubber again might be called
for.

One technique I've been thinking of, but haven't fully tested or
developed yet:

1. Squeeze small bead of silicon on outer surface of seal.

2. Lay plastic wrap over fresh silicon, maybe waxed paper instead.

3. Close window on fresh sealant, but not too tight, plastic wrap
prevents sealing to glass.

(This would allow it to conform to the exact contours.)

4. Clean and smooth excess as it squeezes out. Let cure overnight.

5. Remove plastic wrap and apply petroleum jelly, or something, to the
surface to cut down on chance it will stick to glass.

If this makes someone money, Kick me back some  ;P

> Also, I just dynamatted both doors and put my new speakers in, but there
> is a small hole at the ends of each window (at the bottom), where
> there's a space between the glass and the frame (what the black spacer
> strips don't cover). Water seeps in here constantly. What can I do
> besides making longer spacer strips (I dont think I can!)

We were just talking about Dynamat. How's it work for you? As in your
case it's usually intended for audio reasons, How's it work against road
noise?

In the case of the gap in the corner, it can be covered by the handy
Black Silicon, in instances were a replacement strip can't be obtained.
Looking at my own car, this is a classic example of the shrinkage I was
taking about earlier. Note: 3M makes good quality products as far as
brand names go, in fact I'm inclined to search out Marine grade stuff,
if at all possible. Would hold up better to UV, grime, & road salt
<shudder> than the normal stuff. 2nd Note: In order to achieve a
professional result, look for the micro trowel thingies that are used to
smooth the caulking during shower installs, etc. Cheap tool, works
great.

On my own car I filled in the corner with the stuff I was sealing the
front window with and I just used my finger, works OK, could be
smoother.

> Finally, has anyone replaced the weather seal around the rear hatch
> before? What does it involve and can it completely seal out air and
> water if properly done? I have 2 big subs in the back who choose to use
> the hatch as a blowhole.

Hmmm, I love retrofit, re-engineering problems. :)  How about a
secondary seal added to the stock one. Brainstorm sees an additional,
secondary, aftermarket seal around the perimeter of the existing one.
I've seen some sold off of a roll, by the foot (uh, meter), and bonds to
a cleaned and prepped surface. If there is enough room between the orig.
seal and the car body, like when it's closed, and it doesn't poke out or
is visible- Hey, maybe it'll work.

At one time I entertained the idea of filling the collapsible seal with
the silicon, but I fear this would make it too unyielding and would not
allow it to seal properly.

> Thanks
> Pete Jacobsen
> Silver 1980 Scirocco GTI

Thx for putting up with my long windiness, HTH

TBerk