Grease shifting Linkage?

I was thinking about putting some sort of grease, like wheel bearing grease or
something like that on all of the bushings and connections on the shifting
linkage, to smooth out the operation, and possibly slow down wear.  Will this
help? Has anyone done this?  Or will it Hurt?  My linkage is around 3 years
old and it does not go into 1 and 2 as smoothly as I would like it to-- 3,4,5
are not as bad.  It will always go into gear but it feels like something is
stopping it just before it goes into gear and I have to put a little more
pressure on it to get it past that "notch" and I thought some grease may help.
Thanks everyone
Brian 86 16v