ECU PROBLEMS...

I have a problem.. I have an 87 Scirocco 16v 2.0. It has the engine
management system from a '93 passat 2.0 16v (motronic). I was wondering
if anyone knows if it is possible to pull fault codes without the use of
the stealerships computer? I know the passat has a couple of connectors
under the shifter boot they plug into. I've been told by some European
specialty shops that the dealer is the only one who can pull trouble
codes from this system. All of these people had code scanners and said
they had run into the problem before. I'm having some idle problems and
feel I'm wasting my time without know what the ecu is doing. Also, the
previous owner installed a neuspeed ecu, I've heard there chips suck,
does anyone know if this is true? Where it was the ecu and not just the
chip does that mean it's soldered to the board? Also, does anyone know
where I can get a garret chip, I've read about how he actually modifies
the software and doesn't just make the car run way too rich like a lot
of other people do.. Thanks...

Jason.