Altenator on Fritz-?

Hi

Please check out email below.  Thanks 4 any replies.  Oh yeah car is
still for sale.

---- Begin included message ----

---- Begin included message ----
Hello

I have a problem starting my car. An 1987 scirocco 16V.  I personally
have checked the output from the altenator and it checked out ok at
14-15 volts.  I didn't have the the time to fool around with the car so
I took it to a mechanic who does pretty good work for me and my wife
thus far.   I was able to jump start the car and it started imediatly
(after i connected the negative pole to a chassis ground )  I informed
the mechanic that the car was jump started.  He tells me today that the
altenator is caput.  I know for  certain that my battery was way run
down if not totally dead.  I am not an electrical expert but if your
battery and altenator are both shot I don't think the car should run at
all.  Please let me know if I need to discuss this further with the
mechanic.  He quoted me 258 for a rebuilt bosch 90A altenator.  I should
have spent the time to retorque all the connections....

---- End included message ----
---- End included message ----