Re: [tech] [gas tank] pre-transfer pump tanks [FI]

The sender plug is a twist & lock fit.  Just tap it round - about 1/8 of
a turn should be enough - and it will come loose.  The filter is a sort
of nylon mesh on the bottom of the pickup and it can get well clogged,
causing the main pump to overheat cause it isn't getting enough fuel
flowing thru it.  The fact that the pump is noisy sort of backs this up.
If the engine hasn't been run at all for several years, it might be that
the injectors are clogged - I've heard that you get crystalline deposits
forming if the petrol is left to sit a long time.  Ultrasonic cleaning
or new injectors is the only cure for that.  A friend of mine had this
problem with a VR6 which had been lying for a couple of years:  it
barely ran at first so he had the injectors cleaned and it went sweet as
a nut first time.

I've been told that the only way to get the tank clean is to take it off
the car and then wash it out. I can't see whay you can't just jack it up
so that the filler inlet to the tank is at the lowest point and
disconnect the filler inlet hose.  Then you can squirt in your cleaner
thru the hole in the top and rinse out with petrol.  I suppose this
presumes that the filler inlet is right at the bottom of the tank - I
can't remember offhand.

HTH

Ewan Hopkins...

'85 Storm 2.0