Oil in the winter - was: stupid newbie questions....

Jennifer Mac wrote:

> Personally, I liked the way my 8V performs with 20-50 wt oil (I
> don't use synthetic, by the way).  In fact, I use Castrol 20-50.
> Now, if it gets below freezing, this can make for a hard start, so
> this winter I decided to change over to 10-40, just for the cold
> months.  I can't say this is the way to go, it just hasn't gotten
> that cold here in the NW this winter--and--a VW mechanic mentioned
> that he absolutely would not recommend 10-40 wt ever, preferring
> 30 wt and noting that "Volkswagens just seem to love 30wt".  I
> immediately switched to 30wt but this spring I'm going back to
> 20-50--I swear I can notice a difference, but more to the point,
> this 30 wt sure gets dirty quicker.  Maybe that's a good thing, as
> long I change the oil every 2000 miles, I don't know.  I just know
> the Castrol 20-50 stayed clean a lot longer.  Anyone else have any
> input here?
>
> Jennifer

20-w50 is great for an older car, esp. ours that may get hot during
'spirited' driving. But it is recommended for warmer weather. Winter
will call for a change in viscosity. [Hold while I break out a manual]

This will be in F., Convert to Celsius as needed:

Note: (and I quote)

"... Single-grade engine oils, such as SAE 30, were formerly recommend
for high-temprature use because of the unreliable quality of available
multi-grade engine oils. The new high standard for engine oils that
conform to the API (American Petroleum Institute) ratings has made
multi-grade oils suitable for use at nearly all temperatures..."
Bentley for 1980-84, pg. 1-4.

Viscosity:   30
Outside temp range:    32 - 85.

Viscosity:   5w-20
Outside temp range:   -20 - 10.

Viscosity:   10w-30
Outside temp range:     0 - 50.

Viscosity:   20w-50
Outside temp range:    15 - 85.

As I review this, I remember that 32 degrees is freezing and 85 degrees
is not all that hot in the summer. There is also a caution to avoid
running a low number oil in freezing weather if you are going to run for
long distance and or high speeds, bump up to a higher weight oil.

I haven't used straight 30w since I ran the K. Ghia, with it's
air-cooled beetle based engine. Since then I have used multigrade oils
and since I drive hard and fast, rarely in temps that are below 40 or 50
degrees, I use 20w-50 most all year. Lately we have dipped down into the
30s here in Northern California but other wise I've not worried about
it.

If I was further up north where things get cold and stay cold I'd switch
to a winter oil like 5w-20 or Mobil's 0w-30.

To wrap it up, I've used Castrol's 20w-50 for years, I've since switched
to Mobil One synthetic the last two years. Works great for me in my
100k+ engines, less consumption, no leaks to speak of, engine runs a bit
better.

TBerk

PS- I don't think one time use of the 30w will wreck your engine, I'd
think of swapping to a good quality multigrade when the time comes.