Re: Scirocco S colors (North America)

Mark Peele wrote:

> 1979: no mention of an S model. I have a R&T article reviewing
> the 1979 Scirocco 5 speed limited edition. This car was
> essentially a Scirocco S - but no Scirocco S badge. In fact, the
> article indicates that the appearance package would be available
> in model year 1980 as the Scirocco S.

The 1979 not only had the appearance package, but had all the
same equipment including the seats that appeared the following
year.  I have a 1979 version which is Alpine White.  The R&T
article I believe was also a white car.  Not sure if there were
any others.

An interesting note was that the 1979 had a better torque
for normal driving due to a lower final drive ratio.
For comparison:

             1979-LE    1980-S     1981-S
-----        -------    -------    -------
Engine       1.6L EJ    1.6L EJ    1.7L EN
HP           78@5500    78@5500    74@5000
Torque       83@3200    83@3200    89.6@3000
1st          3.45       3.45       3.45
2nd          1.94       1.94       1.94
3rd          1.29       1.29       1.29
4th          0.97       0.97       0.91
5th          0.76       0.76       0.71
Final        4.17       3.89       3.89
Curb Wt      1888       1933       1933

Calculated Wheel Torque:
1st          1194       1114       1202
2nd           671        626        676
3rd           446        416        450
4th           336        313        317
5th           263        245        247

I'm not sure I believe the lower 1979 curb
weight as my book only lists the basic
Scirocco and the basic Scirocco in 1980/81
is also listed as 1888 pounds.

regards,

Mark

BTW, you can check my 1979 at the following
web location:

http://www.inficad.com/~autox/Scirocco1.jpg

be sure to observe lowercase/uppercase.