Re: Corrado Brakes -- Summary so far

16V JASON wrote:>
> Unknowns:
> -  Noone has offered an explanation as to why the 11s would offer easier
> modulation.  Shawn argued that because the bigger brakes will not need to
> run as close to their maximum potential, they will modulate easier.  My
> argument was that because the 11s offer so much more braking force than the
> tire can handle, it might be more difficult to modulate them because they
> will be so quick to lockup... in essence, they'll be closer to an on/off
> pedal than are the 10s.

>         Any insight?
>
> ----------
> jason@scirocco.org

Thoughts on this particular subject.

Given that a bigger rotor will provide a greater ability to lock up the
brakes, remember tire technology has improved since the original system
was invented and produced. This increase in tire 'stickiness' has pushed
out the performance potential of the brake system as a whole, in
addition to the ability to hang on through the corners.

I tend to view the ability of a larger swept area to increase the range
between minimal braking and total lockup, just the opposite of your
On/Off brakes as toggle switch system.

The pedal effort required to get the car to slow comes on much earlier
in the process, increasing the usable range of braking. Problems enter
with this increase power to stop if you have old cheesy tires and they
tend to slip and slide. ( Like mine.) Panic stops may be problematic.

I don't believe just one major upgrade to a car is meant to stand on
it's own. I've increased the size of my engine from a 1.7 to a GTI's
1.8. I can now over drive the brakes much easier than before, warranting
a better braking system. In my case it looks like the ATE and Fedoros
are the ticket.  Down the road I foresee a 2.o liter plant giving the
power and will have included other improvements to keep pace.

The question was; Is it worth it?

The answer is- Of course it is, maybe.

TBerk