Re: car upgrade

>I have a question.  I am thinking about buying a 1.8L engine kit from
>Autotech.  I have a 1988 Volkswagen Scirocco 16v and the kit will
>upgrade it to a 2.0L engine.

If you're serious, the 2L block is cheaper in the long run.

> Plus I am going to put a turbo into the car.

Good luck with that! :)

>Can the engine handle this extra power?

Sure, it depends on what compression ratio you run, how much turbo boost
you have, and what engine managment system you install instead of CIS-E.
Are there any 16v turbo kits that work with CIS-E?  Longevity issues due
to lean running conditions under boost would be a concern in that case,
in my opinion.

>While I'm doing should I upgrade the clutch as well or can I use the
>stock clutch?

Pushing over 200hp....um no. :)  Upgrades are in order.  Sport clutch
package with sport pressure plate.  I'm using the Sachs sport pressure
plate with a good stock 2L 16v clutch disc (out of production at this
point, superceeded with an inferior part).

> Have anyone did this before and do you know how much it will cost for
>the mods?

Full 2L 16v Turbo, with all appropriate upgrades and replacements? I'm
going to hazard a guess of around $5-6k.  I'll have about $3.5k into
my 2L by the time I show up in Cincy in May. :)  But you'll be
hard pressed to name a wear item on my engine that wouldn't have
been replaced with new or better then new parts.

>Do you know how much power it will make?

AMS used to make a stage I 16v motronic turbo system that put out
around 210hp, the stage II was around 245 I think.  Rough gauge to
go by I suppose, your milage will definately vary.

>Also do you know the maximum
>amount of boost I can put the car to without blowing a gasket or
>something up?

No idea what so ever...so many things depend.  Intake charge temp?
Compression ratio?  Fuel to air mixture ratio at that particular RPM?
It's not straight forward.  I'm guessing you could err a bit on the
safe side and run about 8.5:1 compression or so then boost from there,
gonna be dog slow off the line though in a 16v.  If anything, it'll
be worse with a 2L because of greater volume of the combustion chambers
takes longer for the turbo to fill...the fix is to use a smaller turbo
so it spins up faster and fills the chambers quicker...unfortunately
the smaller turbo runs out of breath too soon, and 16v's like to rev.
I dunno, turbos can make some amazing power no doubt, but I'm just
not into the mysticism needed to make the decisions on how to build
a good one.

>With the 1.8L engine kit, do I have to shave anything or
>is it a direct put-on to the engine?

Machine work required.  You'll probably need it even if you just
rebuild the engine, if you want to do it right.

>While I'm doing this and the
>engine is open do you have any suggestions on the other parts of the
>Scirocco to upgrade?

How much money do you have, and how soon do you want to have to fix
something else again?  My view is:  I'm holding a wearable part in my
hand that just took a lot of effort to get at and remove...how soon
would I like to do this job again?  Bite it and replace it.  Look at
your credit card bill like another short term car loan...whatever. :)
Still cheaper then buying a new car, not to mention the fact that
you can't a car as wicked cool as a Scirocco anymore.

==Brett