Re: upgrade questions

Rich Deede wrote:

> I was told that you really can't port + polish the head of a 1.8l 16v.
> Actually i was told that the head can be ported but the bottom end won't
> be able to take it for some reason.  Is this true?  Has anyone done it?
> If it is possible, are there any side effects?  And finally what exactly
> is a 3 angle valve job and how is this different?  Can this be done to the
> 1.8 16v?  Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to decide what i
> should do with my car.  Thanks.

I have a 1.8 16v head on my 2.0 block. The previous owner had it ported. I
have pictures of
the head before it was installed they removed a lot of metal. I can tell you
it does lack some low end (the car is has about the same low end as stock only
it has a 2.0) however at around 3800 rpm the motor goes ape shit, well worth
it in my opinion. People get so anal about loosing any low end, I understand
to a point, but WTF? Does everyone shift at 2000 rpm or what? I think it's ok
to loose a little low end and gain a lot of high end, after all what the hell
do people think they put those extra 8 valves in the motor for? a smoother
idle? I think not...

Jason.
87 Scirocco 16v 2.0 Motronic.