Re: upgrade questions

>I was told that you really can't port + polish the head of a 1.8l 16v.
>Actually i was told that the head can be ported but the bottom end won't
>be able to take it for some reason.  Is this true?  Has anyone done it?
>If it is possible, are there any side effects?  And finally what exactly
>is a 3 angle valve job and how is this different?  Can this be done to the
>1.8 16v?  Sorry for all the questions but I'm trying to decide what i
>should do with my car.  Thanks.
>
>Rich Deede

Incorrect Sir! :)

The 1.8 can be ported, however (and this is maybe where the rumor started)
the 2L head has more material to port into, hence could be a better
candidate.  I'm having mine ported by a guy who really knows his VWs,
used to race 16v's a while back.  Has nothing to do with the bottom end,
that's one of the strongest parts of any VW (rumor mill: heard that the
reason the VW bottom end seems to be so overbuilt is to handle the
stress of a high compression diesel...)  Unless the head is decked
incorrectly, things just go back together well.  Your wallet is lightenend,
and just think of how all that heavy money was slowing you down before?

==Brett