Re: Best AutoX wheel and tire setup?

On Tue, 2 Feb 1999 10:43:37 EST XBlueHen@aol.com writes:
>Just curious......what is everyone's preferred autox wheel and tire
>setup??
>(for those of you who in fact autox!)

Hmm, "preferred".......

Well, Id "prefer to use a 13X9 wheel. as light as possible. Probably a
WELD WHEEL.
Tires... id prefer to use a Hoosier tire and have rows of stacked new
tires in the back yard.
My reality is I use a 13X6 aluminum wheel. (Pannasport look-a-like) with
a newly acquire set of old used up BFG R-1's! Damn glad to have them too!
Ive run on borrowed sets of Yoko's and street tires for the last 9
months. Ive gotten one run on a set of 14" R-1's that Dough had. Felt
damn good, definitely had more speed to find out there but I had a tiny
problem with my tranny making a teencie hole and sort of grenading itself
on that run.

So basically, run whatever you can get UNLESS you've got the cash to buy
whatever you want. I believe the above mentionable's to be the current
best setup for the A1  in DSP.
Get the widest lightest wheel you can afford. Bottom line.

If you want to talk in terms of tires VS cost I can do that too.

Hoosiers - fastest stickiest tire on the market today for autox use.
Expensive and don't last very long. Takes a skilled driver to drive them
great.

BFG R-1 - Almost as fast as the Hoosier (damn close) easy to drive on and
very forgiving. (For those of you who like to overdrive the course.) Less
expensive than the hoosiers and last a little longer. Street pressures
work on these.

Kumho - Quickly becoming many stock class drivers favorite. I have never
driven on a set of these but from the drivers I have spoken to about
them, they're almost like the R-1's but don't have the sidewall regidity
and require a little more air pressure.

Yoko AO32 - (Whatever they're called.) If your gonna spend the money,
might as well get a set of Kuhmos. They look like they got lots of meat
for racing but they're a harder compound which never seems to heat enough
to be effective on an autox course.

Yoko A008 RS (and RS-II) - If you can find a useable set of these, great!
They work good, don't have the overall bite of the R-1's and require a
lot of tire pressure. Somewhat forgiving tire.
HTH!!

              Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi           82' Scirocco GTi
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and