Re: strange headlight problem

<x-charset iso-8859-1>aryasura wrote:

> Something strange happened recently in that my headlights stopped working!!
> If i flick on the headlight switch only the side markers (fog lights)
> activate.
> If i hit the brights all the lights go on (normal plus brights).
> Has anyone had this problem before? I think my switch might have gone bad.

   I would first try the fuses...

   If those are okay then put a voltmeter to the headlight plug to make
sure neither is burnt out (with lowbeams on of course).  If you have
voltage at the plug, then either the bulbs are toast, or the ground wire
is faulty.  If you have no voltage at either of the lowbeams then either
the headlight dimmer/flasher switch or the wiring is faulty.  I am
fairly certain that from the headlight dimmer/flasher switch to the fuse
box there is a single yellow wire that powers the lowbeams (splits into
2 inside the box to supply both left and right circuits).

   But first I need to know what you mean by "hit the brights" cuz if it
means holding the stalk back in the highbeam position, then perhaps the
headlight switch is faulty (no power from switch when on but still have
power when holding the stalk back), but if you pull the stalk back and
release it and the highs come on then it could be that the wire from
headlight dimmer/flasher switch is faulty (the yellow wire).  Check out
the following 2 diagrams to see what I mean (disregard the fuse and
toggle in Diagram.jpg)

 http://24.5.122.61/andre/low_high/Bentley%20Diagram.jpg

 http://24.5.122.61/andre/low_high/Diagram.jpg

HTH...