Remote starter with a manual shift trans?

Hi,

I am jealous of my co-worker and his remote car starter.

Is the switch on our manual shift transmission "smart enough" to know when
it's in neutral?

I know it "knows" when it's in reverse, and it seems to "know" when it's in
5th (up-shift light stops doing it's thing).

I'm way too stupid to remember to leave it in neutral when I get out, so it
is important to be able to let a remote starter "know" if it's safe to
start the car. (yes, it will start in first gear and drive away)

Know what I mean?

Dan