Lowering spacers? Ground Control c/o's bad?

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Whoo-hoo! I finally got a set of wheels (16" OZ Monte Carlos...I have to
admit Riley's car looked too awesome and I became a copy-cat) and some nice
tires (Yoko AVS-520) for the Scirocco. No more Bridgestones (w/ one
Goodyear) on beat-up teardrops. Good thing too: there was a nail in the
Goodyear! The thing looks great and handles like a dream, but now it
definitely looks like I didn't get quite enough lowering effect from my H&R
"lowering springs". I've got at least a good inch or more of fender gap,
which is just a tad too much, IMHO.

I spoke to somebody in my home town last summer about some little spacers
that could lower the front end of my Scirocco by a small amount cheaply and
without serious modification, and I could use the lower spring perch on the
rear Koni shocks to (hopefully) match. I don't remember the details, but if
anyone has more info or knows who to talk to about them, I'd appreciate it.

My other choice would be putting a Ground Control kit on my Koni yellows.
The tuner guy in town here says he had a real problem with them
bottoming-out all the time and didn't like them, but he's the only one I've
heard say anything bad about them. I remember several people on the list
having good things to say. Does anyone have anything *bad* to say about
them? For $400 vs. $1300 for "real" coil-overs (+ having to sell/waste my <1
year-old Konis) it might be worthwhile. Are the sleeves difficult to weld-on
properly (as in: making sure they're all at an even hight) or is it pretty
straight-forward?

Finally, are Neuspeed Race springs lower/stiffer than my H&R's? Riley's car
looks a little lower, and there is another guy in town with (I think) Race
springs and 16" tires, and IIRC his car looks a bit lower. MUCH stiffer
too...I couldn't make the front springs move by pushing on the fender (he
asked me to try)! I didn't get to ride in the car, but I'm guessing it's
pretty harsh. Experiences/opinions?

Thanks in advance!
Neal
'88 Scirocco 16v