RE: Reverse Lock Out

<x-charset iso-8859-1>I just fixed this in mine about 2 weeks ago.  However, there are a couple of
discrepancies between my solution and the information given by T Berk, so
take that information and this information and put them together to get to
something that works for you.

I did loosen the clamp on the splines at the front of the long shift rod.  I
had replaced the bushings already, and I was still hitting reverse instead
of first.  I made sure the holes in the shifter plate were aligned with the
holes in the floor, which they were.  Then I put the shifter in neutral at
the 3-4 gate (per Bentley), which seems to be its resting position anyway.
I got under the car and loosened the clamp and rotated the shift rod until
the little finger inder the shifter was 15mm (between 9/16" and 19/32", for
the metrically impaired) from the lockout plate, which is the mk2 spec given
in Bentley, IIRC.  I tightened the clamp back down and now I can push it
hard to the left and I still don't get into reverse unless I press down.

HTH!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
'70 Bug - hibernating