Re: Reverse Lock Out

Paul Maione wrote:

> Hey everyone.
>
> My shifter is giving me problems. I cut my original
> one down a bit too short, so when I was at Waterfest,
> I picked one up from a some guy selling an original
> sized one. Ever since I installed it, I lost the lock
> that would prevent you from shifting into reverse
> without pushing down. It's just starting to get to me.
> Is this a problem with the shifter arm I bought
> (bushings and stuff like that) or did something go
> haywire in the installation of the new one?
>
> Thanks!
>
> =====
> Paul Maione (The Burnt Kid)

Burnt,

I think you need to square up the shifter mech. and linkage. Note- you
prob. DON'T need to loosen the long bar w/ splines as it is prob. not
the problem.

Under the shifter lever boot you will see the flat plate, it should have
two holes in it. THese get lined up w/ some holes under it on the car
body.

Also, from under the car you will see the bottom of the shifter mech.
has a C shaped part that acts as the reverse lock out. It may take some
disassembly of the rubber surround to get at it and having a helper run
through the gears helps to visualize things.

I believe the gap should be 10 mm when the shifter is in the middle of
neutral. Someone mentioned a cassette case as a good thickness to use.

hth,
TBerk