Reverse Lock Out

Hey everyone.

My shifter is giving me problems. I cut my original
one down a bit too short, so when I was at Waterfest,
I picked one up from a some guy selling an original
sized one. Ever since I installed it, I lost the lock
that would prevent you from shifting into reverse
without pushing down. It's just starting to get to me.
Is this a problem with the shifter arm I bought
(bushings and stuff like that) or did something go
haywire in the installation of the new one?

Thanks!

=====
Paul Maione (The Burnt Kid)
Scirocco 86' 8v