Re: Reverse Lock Out

On Mon, 27 Dec 1999 22:09:34 -0800 (PST) Paul Maione
<scirocco_16v@yahoo.com> writes:
>Hey everyone.
>
>My shifter is giving me problems. I cut my original
>one down a bit too short, so when I was at Waterfest,
>I picked one up from a some guy selling an original
>sized one. Ever since I installed it, I lost the lock
>that would prevent you from shifting into reverse
>without pushing down. It's just starting to get to me.
>Is this a problem with the shifter arm I bought
>(bushings and stuff like that) or did something go
>haywire in the installation of the new one?
>
>Thanks!

Its a mechanical lockout device. If the lever is intact and the lockout
on the body is intact then it should work for you. Unless of course the
spring on the shifter isnt installed, it would sag and not shift so good
most of the time.
Im a little mixed up on whether or not its the A1 or A2 chassis that has
a few pieces that can be replaced completely in the shifter system. I
think its the A2 pieces that im thinking about. There is a teflon or
plastic piece that you can replace on the piece that mounts on the body.
Something of that effect. Hmm. Id dig out my bentley but im really tired.
Maybe more on it tomorrow after work if nobody comes up with an
acceptable answer for you.

Shawn Meze
86' Jetta GLi   82' Scirocco GTi   81' "Project Scirocco FSP"
The Fastest, Quickest, Cleanest and