Re: [16v] now my car is screwed! any suggestions?

In a message dated 12/18/99 4:22:10 PM Eastern Standard Time, rts@nol.net
writes:

<< Driving home from work through 30 miles of semi
 residential streets, the first stop i come to the car
 idle dips a bit, each subsequent stop the idle dips again
 to around 400-500 and almost stalls. Now each time
 progressively the car seems more sluggish off the line,
 then at the stops, my oil light flickers. at this point
 the car barely is able to chug up to 2krpm then the power
 kicks in..2 stops later the car wont budge, just sits there
 and idles, cant rev it up! >>

Well the description you gave above would sound to me like a self-destructing
Catalytic converter.  First starting to melt away a little causing some
excessive backpressure.  Then progressively melting further causing more
backpressure.  Whether the converter can melt so far as to cause a complete
clog not allowing your car to run at all I do not know but this may be your
problem.  And if this can happen so suddenly,  Have you used any foreign
products in the fuel system or around the air intake, or overfilled the oil
crankcase?

Brian 86 16v
http://hometown.aol.com/captnbr/myhomepage/auto.html