Re: Cam timing questions

On Thu, 2 Dec 1999, Aaron Ness wrote:
> 8V 1.8l engines - my '84 Scirocco, and my brother's '85 GTI
>
> 1.  Does the intermediate shaft do anything other than drive the
> distributor?  It doesn't appear to, but I've never had one of these engines
> apart.

The intermediate shaft drives the distributor and the oil pump.

> 2.  Are the timing marks on the cam, crank, and intermediate pulleys set up
> so the timing belt is installed with the engine at #1 TDC compression?

Yes.  Watch that the mark on the flywheel used is the (0) mark(TDC), not
the notch (which is the ignition timing mark: 6 degrees BTDC on the JH
motor - not sure on the 85 GTI)

> 3.  My brother's ignition timing is advanced a little too far, and he's at
> school with e-mail access but no timing light.  Does he turn it CW to
> retard, or is it CCW?

My hand says rotate the distributor body CCW to advance, and CW to retard,
and my head hurts too much to disagree.  Anyone else?

Drew 84 Wolfsburg Ed.

Drew MacPherson, Network Analyst, University of Guelph

drew@dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca           |  visit the Massey-Harris page:
http://dyermaker.cs.uoguelph.ca/~drew   |  http://m-h.cs.uoguelph.ca