Cam timing questions

<x-charset iso-8859-1>Here's a paraphrased version of some questions I posted to scirocco-l the
other day.  I haven't received (or I've overlooked) any responses, so here
it goes again...

8V 1.8l engines - my '84 Scirocco, and my brother's '85 GTI

1.  Does the intermediate shaft do anything other than drive the
distributor?  It doesn't appear to, but I've never had one of these engines
apart.

2.  Are the timing marks on the cam, crank, and intermediate pulleys set up
so the timing belt is installed with the engine at #1 TDC compression?

3.  My brother's ignition timing is advanced a little too far, and he's at
school with e-mail access but no timing light.  Does he turn it CW to
retard, or is it CCW?

TIA!
Aaron
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!