Oil Pump ?

Hey kids,
I was driving to work today, and the little idiot light came on, and my oil
pressure gauge dropped to 0. I bagan hearing the valves getting louder
(after about 30seconds) so I shut the car down.  i waited a bit, drank a
coffee, and fired it back up. the pressure was still non-exsistant, but I
stabbed the throttle to half way, and suddenly it came back and worked fine.
   Any Ideas?

Ive never had a bad oil pump, so I don't know what it's symptoms are, but
seeing as its one of the few parts that are on the car that hasn't been
replaced, it's prolly to blame.

Estimated time to do the job?
What do I have to do- drop the pan, unbolt it and put a new one in- or is it
more complicated?

thanks- gotta get that fixed before the $1500 challenge!

CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
http://www.spredhaus.com
http://www.angelfire.com/nj/spredhaus
58 Type1 Ragtop