fuel consumption

Hi,

what kind of fuel consumption are people getting? I'm on about 34 miles per
gallon (UK) motorway driving. It seems a bit high for a stock 1.8 8V carb.
My idle speed wanders a bit and I'm wondering if anyone can diagnose the
problem. Starts fine, reving at about 2.5K, drops to 800 after a couple of
secs but as I heat up it rises to about1600. It's steady there for most of
the time but occasionally it's idling at the correct 800 or so. Someone
suggested that it might be a lazy wax stat, whatever that is. Strangely
(given everyone talking about hot running 8Vs) mine hardly gets out above 25
percent on the temp guage. The higher it goes though the lower the idle
speed generally is. Could the automatic choke switch or the inlet manifold
switch cause high idling probs? Its's an EX engine with a 2E2 carb. With the
price of fuel at £3.33 per gallon here I need more out of it!

Thanks for info about the side motor mounts, sounds like a nightmare and one
best left to when I do both sides at the same time and the cam belt. I can't
bring myself to start chopping up the bodywork Eric.

cheers guys, SPat 8V '87 Paprika Scala.