Re: Radios - info wanted and for sell

** Reply to note from "Foxx (in a box)" <iraldly@otterbein.edu> Thu, 19 Aug 1999 05:26:04 -0400

> i installed a factory radio in my '86 today (whoopee!) and it sounds nice.
> it's so much better than the bulky sony that i had put in there. i figure
> out most of the functions for it, but am left wondering what "dx" means.
> anyone? also, it said on the side "heidelberg v" and i'm assuming it's the
> model, not where it was made. can anyone tell me if this is one of the
> vw/blaupunkt radios of legend? it came out of an '84 quamtum 5 wagon, if
> that's any help. anyone have the manual lying around...somewhere...?

  The DX (for "distant") button allows you to listen to distant radio
stations. The most practical use is if you have a favorite radio station,
and you are driving away from it. The button boosts the sensitivity of the
receiver, so you can keep listening before having to switch to another
station.

  Unfortunately, if you leave the DX button in at all times, the radio is so
sensitive that in the city you get interference from other stations and from
reflexions from buildings. And it gets difficult to tune into a particular
station if oy use it under those conditions.

  Better radios have AGC (Automatic Gain Control) and use some sort of
PLL (Phase Locked Loop), so you don't have to worry about that.

  As for the Blaupunkt brand, at one point, Volkwagens had one of the
highest break-in rates in the world, just because the radios were so hot.
In 85, my 84 got hit 3 times in 3 months, jacking up my insurance premium
dramatically - until I had an alarm system installed.

  That happened even though they did not automatically install Blaupunkts
anymore. The move to non-Blaupunkt radios started earlier, in an attempt
to stop the break-in cycle ...

  Now they have radios with a programmable enabling chip. If power is
disrupted, the radio stops working, and only you or VW can reset it with a
special code. That, combined with a fairly foolproof alarm system, made VWs
a lower risk to insurance companies.

        Jean-Claude
        84 8v