RE: electrical problems

I had a similar problem with stalling in heavy traffic, although it didn't
usually take so long to restart.  I replaced the main pump & transfer pump.
I'd replace the transfer pump first - it's much easier to do -  and if that
doesn't help, then the main pump.  A noisy main pump doesn't always indicate
imminent failure - mine was noisy when I got the car and it was 2+ years
before I replaced it. I'd also change the fuel filter if it hasn't been done
recently.

For the 'blowing fuse' electrical problem, it would be well worthwhile
tracing through the wiring diagrams any for any circuits which share the
positive feed with the offending fuse, especially ones which end-up in the
engine bay.  I had a problem with the horn circuit on my wife's '86 GT - it
would blow the horn fuse as soon as I switched on. I knew the horn wiring in
the engine bay wasn't shorting so I spent about half a day digging in the
dash wiring & checking the fuse/ distribution box, looking for shorts.  I
then sat down with the wiring diagrams and traced all the circuits running
off the same positive feed, one of which was the overrun cutoff solenoid in
the carb.  Lo & behold, when I checked in the engine bay, it was shorting!
In short, I'd check the diagrams and eliminate _ALL_ possibilities before
thinking about replacing any of the wiring. Then, at least you should be
able to pin it down to a single wire/circuit and just substitute the suspect
wire with a new.  If you start changing whole looms there's every chance
you'll end-up with more problems that you started with!

HTH,

Ewan Hopkins