Re: [non-roc]DIN/SAE BHP/HP

>    Anybody know the difference and conversion factors between DIN and
>SAE horsepower ratings?

Let me qualify this by saying I think...
DIN is the German standard and is measured at the road.  SAE is the
American standard and is measured at the flywheel.  I don't know
conversion factors, though.  It may vary per car.

>What's the difference between what was used in the 60's and what's used
now?

That would be SAE gross and SAE net.  No idea of the difference.

>Why does my brother's 280Z say "170HP" underneath the hood when all the
specs >I've ever seen published say it has 139 - 149 bhp?

This should be the difference between DIN and SAE.  My father has two
Z-cars and the horsepower ratings seem underrated (135 for the 280 and
160 for the 300).  Since they're both faster than a turbo Pontiac he had
some time back (with 150 hp), we checked into it.  It would seem that the
SAE ratings of teh cars are 180 and 210, respectively.

HTH.

-Timothy A. Reed, Esq.
t.a.reed.esq@juno.com
Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the
Lord.
Romans 12:11