Re: Offtopic: ABD Drag race

> Ok I have a question in regards to this vehicle
> CAMS:
> I read the article and it states that it has a 320 degree camshaft
> now I am not all that familiar about cams but I thought basiclly the
bigger
> the cam the more loss on bottom end,,and I figured with a vehicle built
for
> drag racing you wouldnt want any low end loss.Maybe I am missing something
> bigtime.
> Someone please explain.

    well, this is just my view on the topic, but i think that crazy cams
like that completely rob you of bottom end in a "daily-driving" situation
only.  in other words, right now you may be used to driving the car in
fourth gear at 50mph.  at this speed you might be able to step on the gas
without downshifting and get some acceptable acceleration.  with a cam of
this degree, however, if you are in the same scenario (50mph in 4th), and
you hop on the gas, the car will, in all likelihood, not accelerate worth a
damn, and you'll be forced to downshift into 3rd.

    when you race your car on a dragstrip, it's all about hard launches and
redline shifts.  so, having a cam as retarded as a 320º will be a benefit.
why?  cuz when you drop the clutch at the line, you're bringing the revs
into a range that the cam can operate in.  plus, everytime you shift gears,
you should do so at redline.  if you do that, the revs will be well into the
powerband of the next gear, and you'll be smiling all the way to the end of
the 1320.

> COMPRESSION:
> Also while on this topic I see they are using 93.5 x 95.25 raising the
> compression to 14:1 on a custom crank and rods
> Can you do this on a street vehicle without problems.

    without problems?  i dunno.  i'd assume that it's possible, but you will
probably need to run race fuel everywhere you go.  do you live near an
airport, or a racetrack?  if you do, and you got loads of cash to buy super
high octane fuel, and you don't see yourself taking extended drives away
from home, then i don't see why you wouldn't be able to do that.  actually,
if you have yourself a knock sensor, then you should be alright...i'd
assume...

> And with raising compression I understand you get more power but exactly
> what type of gains will you see and how will other modifactions take with
> more compression

    the only thing i can safely safe here is that if you plan on introducing
any kind of forced induction into your motor (turbo, supercharger), then you
will most likely want to start off with a motor that has lower compression
(i.e. under 8.5:1, i think).  there are people that run turbos and SCs into
high compression motors, but i have no idea how they do it, or how much it
cost them.

    just my $0.02...

jason
the mad bastard