RE: Offtopic: ABD Drag race

Increasing the CR will put a little spring in your step and give you a more
"spirited" engine.  However, there's a tradeoff.  You have to pay the big
bucks for high-octane gas, and if you go too high, you won't be able to
drive it without knocking unless you add octane booster to even the highest
octane pump gas.

It also can tend to wear on all the other engine components and lead to
blowby much more quickly.  A few years ago, I bumped the CR in my Bug from
stock 7.5:1 to about 9.6:1 by installing some flycut heads.  Within about
10k miles, I was getting blowby and the plugs were fouling from the oil.  I
took it apart and shimmed the cylinders to get down to 8:1, and the problem
went away entirely.  However, I lost a lot of the spunk I had gained with
the increase.

Aaron
'70 Bug - hibernating
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
Sand rail - for sale or trade in Columbus, IN
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale