Tools for correct mixture adjustment

I've heard that I can adjust the idle speed on my 'rocco myself, but that I
should take it to a shop to have the mixture adjusted properly.  I've also
heard that I should be able to fix any problem with the fuel injection
system at home.  As you can see, there's a contradiction here.  What
resources and tools do I need to correctly set my mixture?  I have a decent
multimeter, a timing light, a tach/dwell/volt meter, and a good brain.  I've
heard that I need a Bentley book and a pressure gauge with a T-fitting.  Is
this correct?  Is there anything else?  I want to lean out my mixture
because my plugs are black, but I want to do it right.

Aaron
'70 Bug - hibernating
'84 Scirocco - Woo-hoo!
Sand rail - for sale or trade in Columbus, IN
'87 Nissan truck - Soon to be for sale