RE: Tools for correct mixture adjustment

Ummm, where's the contradiction.

1. idle speed:  The "basic" way to adjust is with the idle adjusting
screw on the back of the throttle body. Timing and mixture will affect
idle speed so these should be set first.

2. Mixture: You set the mixture by adjusting the ?control plunger? height
in the fuel distributor. There is a 3mm allen screw accessable through a
hole (which is sometimes covered & needs to be drilled out) on the Fuel
Distributor. For proper adjustment, the CO is measured while the screw
is turned, until the right CO count is reached. That is why a shop is
"needed" for proper adjustment (gas analyzers are $$$). You can use a
dwell meter connected to the Oxygen sensor for an "at home" check, and
this works well. The Bentley "bible" describes this procedure.

3. FI problem/fixes:  The CIS/CIS-E fuel injection systems are pretty
simple to work with. Replacing faulty components is easy. The trick is
to find which part is busted. This is where the fuel pressure gauge with
the T-fitting is necessary. Again the bentley describes the procedure.
Basically by comparing system pressure and control pressure at different
times (on, off, etc.) you can find out which part is not working
properly.

BTW, if anyone is interested in understanding Bosch Fuel Injection, there
is a great book that was recommended a while back. Called

Charles O. Probst's
"How to understand, service and modify
Bosch Fuel Injection & Engine Management"

I just got it from Borders.com for $24 + shipping. It really describes
the functions of all of the componends etc. It's awesome. Published by
(who else) Robert Bentley Publishers

HTH
Jonas
85 Scirocco