Re: I was run off the road last night, but at least I may get my mk1 today

-- Gary Huff <ghuff@htech.com> wrote:
> last night in Laurel MD, on right after rt.32 exit I
> was run off the
> road onto the center divider by some hick in a ford
> pickup truck.
> We were sitting in traffic, and some kids in the bed
> of his truck
> starting throwing stuff at my car. I stuck my head
> out the window and
> screamed at them to stop. The driver took it upon
> himself to start
> forcing me onto the center divider, I tried breaking
> so he would just
> fly in front of me but he did not. My drivers side
> wheel went up the
> divider, off the other side for a second, my right
> front wheel caught
> traction and I took off. But not before my alignment
> was completely
> trashed. The wheel sits about 10 degrees off, and
> whenever I give it
> more than half pedal it pulls so violently that it
> throws you into
> another lane. The wheel rubs in the wheel well now,
> and I can only hope
> my koni's are not trashed. Unfortunately I did not
> get the license plate
> # but it is a pretty identifiable vehicle and I am
> often in that area so
> if I see it, well............. you know.............

===I'll keep my rocket launcher handy . . . what an assembly of
preparation H candidates . . .

> anyways, on a good
> note I am going to look at a mk1 today, is there any
> common problems I
> should like for besides rust, and rust under on the
> axle beam mounts?
> Thanks,
>	Gary Huff

=======
The biggest problem for MK1s is rust at the rear of the fender/ body
connection, especially the pan underneath at the rear control arm
mount. Pull up the front carpets and check for rust - it usually is
caused by water leaks and eats its way out.

HTH

===
Mark Peele
1981 Scirocco, 1982 Scirocco, 1987 Golf GT
Then there's Kristen's '78 Scirocco
http://home.t-online.de/home/Scirocco2/mark.htm
Direct Mail: SCIROCCO_GTX@YAHOO.COM