Re: Tire size

Well, I'll definitely attest to the fact that the 15s will be less comfortable due to the
higher unsprung weight. However, I am currently getting better handling out of my new
Panasport "Lite" 14x7 rims with Dunlop SP8ks than I ever got out of the same tires on '91
GTI-spec BBS 15x6.5" rims.

While the extra half an inch of rim width definitely makes a definite improvement on the old
set up, I attribute most of the extra cornering performance to the higher tire pressures that
I can comfortably run. Before I ran 32lbs up front and 30lbs in the back. This was all that I
could stand day in and day out. Also, if I went much higher, the car would crash over bumps in
the road and loose traction. (Bilstein HD struts/shocks with *stock* GTI springs/swaybars).

Now I typically run 38lbs in the front and 35lbs in the back. Not only does the car stick
better due to less tire sidewall squirm and less unsprung weight, I can also run a tighter
suspension to boot.

-and then the autocross wierdos will rightfully try to convice you to go with 13x8s. Don't
even begin to believe the bigger rim is better hype. Then again, if you wanna pick up
chicks...

P.S. My speedo has been affected negligibly ergo I am a happy camper.

Brad Sterling wrote:

> Using traditional tire logic (although people would argue that logic of any type is not my
> strong suit), a 15 will be more responsive because of less sidewall flex, but will decrease
> ride comfort.

(snip)
--
Scott F. Williams