driveshaft & alloys

Two questions. I've just bought my first scirocco. The driveshafts make a
clunky sound when rotated by hand and there's some noise (not too bad) when
applying power and at some low speeds. Clutch, gearbox all work fine and
there's no bearing type noises when cornering. is this sound likely to be
driveshaft, cv joint wear?

Also, the part painted alloys that came with the 1.8 '87 scala are tatty
with the lacquar peeling off. Does anyone have any suggestions on the best
restoration method?

cheers