Re: 4.25 Final Drive

Hmm, i dont know about ultimate, but it's cheap and better than an FF! :)
I'm gonna try this combination real soon:

9A with .71 fifth + Velocity LSD
3.67 final
3.45 1st
2.12 2nd
1.44 3rd
1.13 4th
.71  5th

in a massaged JH soon to have small turbo I think this is the best
compromise for an auto-x'n dialy driver. The 4th to 5th wont be ideal(I
will just about HAVE to shift into fifth at 3700), but not totally unbearable.

Gotta love 65mph at 2500rpm!!

At 09:14 PM 4/1/99 -0500, you wrote:
>Yeah, you know, I've batted this idea about a million times now. What *is*
>the proper gear choice, though. The War Piggy (with worked Audi 2.0l 8v) can
>always use some more torque and since the second gear synchro is starting to
>frag itself... But the thing is, if you go too high on the final drive, the
>first gear becomes pretty much unuseable. And then your back to having a five
>speed. :^(
>
>There's only one 1st gear ratio for us to choose from. So, what's the dilly?
>Regardless, I've run the beloved CarTest program and came up with the
>following combination:
>
>Final drive: 4.25
>1st: 3.45
>2nd: 2.12
>3rd: 1.44
>4th: 1.13
>5th: .91
>
>Of course, this would be unbearable for the street but of course that's not
>the Pig's idea of fun. Then again, there is my project Scirocco. Anyone have
>a suggestion for the ultimate low final drive *street* 5-speed?
>
>Shawn C Meze wrote:
>
>> I think the 4.25 combined with a strong motor and the right stacked gears
>> can be alot of fun not to mention damn FAST on the street.
>
>--
>Scott F. Williams
>NJ Scirocco nut
>SCCA ProRally driver