Re: Gear crunch when shifing into 2nd

This is a completely useless answer, really... just sharing my experience.
I had an '83 Scirocco with 350K miles on it once (if I still had it, I could
win the "most miles on a rocco" award, maybe), and the trans crunched going
into 4th... it was the only gear it crunched into. And the trans that used to
be in my '86 did the same thing into second. I think it's just a tranny
problem. When I changed my fluid, it helped.... I have the 4th gear crunchy
transmission in my '86 now, and it doesn't seem to do it anymore. I dunno...
    -Josiah

- --
 Wm. Josiah Erikson
 '84 Rabbit GTi
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

Brandon Dove wrote:

> I can't remember if it was some on the newsgroups, or someone on the
> list, but a week or so ago, someone posted asking a question about what
> could be the possible causes of gears crunching when shifting into 2nd.
> I never really remember seeing an answer....
>
> Well, now I'm having the same problem -- first of all let's start by
> saying I know how to drive standard cars so I'm positive it's not just
> plain user error. What is happening is that I can shift as fast/hard as
> I want in all other gears, but when I shift into 2nd (particularily when
> its cold) I have to take great care to slowly move the shifter into 2nd
> or else I'll get a nasty crunch. Any ideas why this is happening.
> Thanks.
>
> -Brandon Dove
> 89 8v Scirocco

- --