Re: Help! [16v][crankshaft sprocket]

Is it at all possible that this is just preignition pinging? Maybe your knock
sensor is broken? Or maybe you know what that sounds like... it sounds kindof
like what you're describing, and would only happen when you were on the
throttle.
    -Josiah

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

JGies@skandia.com wrote:

> I'm reposting this - didn't get any responses the first time around, and the
> rattle's driving me crazy.  Any ideas are appreciated! :-)
>
> OK, I have this funny 'tinny' rattle coming from my engine bay whenever I'm
> on the throttle, at all speeds.  I believe that the inner sprocket on the
> lower crankshaft sprocket (the lowest sprocket on the timing belt route) is
> rattling back and forth.  The lower sprocket has two pieces to it, if you
> look carefully.  It is the inner one that is rattling back and forth (so the
> slight back and forth motion would be parallel to the crank shaft).
> It is making slight white marks on the timing belt as well, making me
> nervous.  I just put the new belt on.
> Has anyone had this happen before?  Any ideas?
>
> Thanks
> *       john
> jgies@skandia.com <mailto:jgies@skandia.com>  <mailto:jgies@skandia.com
> <mailto:jgies@skandia.com> >