Re: A2 Starter ?

Hehe... automatic starters (laugh). They fail ALL the time, and are much more
of a pain to change than standard starters. They're behind the engine, pointing
towards the passenger's side of the car. The CV's and the exhaust manifold get
in the way. Reinstalling that heat shield is absoloutely imperative if you want
the starter to last more than a few days. It's held in by three 13mm bolts that
are a pain to get to. Usually take off the right hand front wheel, and with a
long extension and maybe a flex joint (you might not need one) get in there...
of course you also have to disconnect the spade connector field wire and the
power wire (13mm nut). Good luck!
    -Josiah

- --
 '83 Scirocco (not for long!)
 '84 Rabbit GTi (running again)
 '86 Scirocco
 '87 QSW
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah
 I have lots of VW (especially A1) stuff for sale at:
 http://www.gsinet.net/~josiah/forsale/forsale.html

Chris Chemidlin wrote:

> Hey kids,
>
> I'm buying a 87 Jetta GL for a friend for $175. Its pretty nice, plain
> car. It needs a driver door (dented), a winsheild (smashed), and a
> starter (won't start).
>
> The car is an automatic... Ive never even looked under the hood on a
> slushbox, so I have no idea whats happening under here. Where is the
> starter? Is it under the downpipe?
>
> We can't get the car moving until we fix this, and the light is bad
> there. What (if any) different tools do I need (compared to a 5-speed
> starter)?  Have you heard of these things getting real dirty and just
> jamming up? The PO said that her mechanic told her it just needed to be
> pulled out and cleaned.
>
> Thanks!
>
>                        CHRIS CHEMIDLIN
>
>           NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com
>
>           58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta GLi, 87 Foxwagen

- --