Re: scirocco-L-digest V1 #802

At 11:36 AM -0400 9/16/98, Kathy Teulie wrote:
> You all know that they are GOLFs in Europe.

Yes, I did.  I probably should have mentioned that.....

Do you know, or does anyone know, were Canadian ragtops badged as Golf
Cabriolets?  I saw an '85 Golf Cabriolet at a car show this weekend, but I
guess I didn't ask my question clearly enough.  Couldn't tell whether some
creative re-badging had taken place or what.

> Rabbit is the US name.
> The first Golf convertible made its public debut at the 1979 Geneva
> show. The prototype was built three years earlier (1976). I think it was
> 1985 that they changed the badge to "Golf  Cabriolet" in Europe.  In the US
> the A2 was known as the Golf and the A1 was known as the Rabbit.

> In 1985 when the Golf name was used for the A2 the Rabbit name was still
> used for the older convertible. VW did not want to confuse the market and
> call the convertible a "Golf" in the US. So they just called it a
> Cabriolet.

Actually, from what I understand, the Cabriolet stayed as the A1 body style
until very recently when the Cabrio came out on the A3 platform; ie. they
skipped the A2 for the Cabriolet.

I just had to start this thread, because it's one of my hot buttons.  Like
calling the Scirocco Mk II an "A2 Scirocco" or using an apostrophe to
denote plurality rather than possession ("The Rabbit Convertible's were all
made in Germany.").

| Jim Jarrett,CCP                                                   |
| Eastman Kodak Co. - Professional Digital Cameras                  |
| 901 Elmgrove Road MC 35440                                        |
| Rochester, NY 14653-5440         Phone:(716) 726-6365             |
| jarrett@kodak.com           All opinions expressed are mine alone |
| http://www.kodak.com                                              |