A2 Starter ?

Hey kids,

I'm buying a 87 Jetta GL for a friend for $175. Its pretty nice, plain
car. It needs a driver door (dented), a winsheild (smashed), and a
starter (won't start).

The car is an automatic... Ive never even looked under the hood on a
slushbox, so I have no idea whats happening under here. Where is the
starter? Is it under the downpipe?

We can't get the car moving until we fix this, and the light is bad
there. What (if any) different tools do I need (compared to a 5-speed
starter)?  Have you heard of these things getting real dirty and just
jamming up? The PO said that her mechanic told her it just needed to be
pulled out and cleaned.

Thanks!

                       CHRIS CHEMIDLIN

          NEW MUSIC!         http://www.spredhaus.com

          58 Type1 Ragtop, 84 Jetta GLi, 87 Foxwagen