Re: 87 8valve throttle body large or small?

At 08:04 AM 9/16/98 -0700, you wrote:

>It sounds like the '87 scirocco 8valves came stock with a larger
>throttle body.  Does anybody know if this is always the case? I got a
>used Nuespeed version of the larger throttle body and now get the
>feeling I'm screwed....  Called new deminsions and they said...Yeah 87's
>have the same size already.  But here is the kicker.  Upon actually
>looking and measuring the tbodies I find that indeed the secondary
>(larger) butter fly is just less that a quarter of an inch bigger, but
>bigger none the less.  The primary is the same however.  Also my t-body
>has an oval shaped ring that fits into the rubber air intake off of the
>s pipe and the neuspeed has an egg shaped larger opening.

The stock and Neuspeed/Audi TB have the same primary. The difference is
in the secondary. The stock diameter(as measured on my 85 8V) has a 44mm
secondary. The Audi/Neuspeed unit is 52mm. This 8mm difference equates to a
little more than a 1/4 in. And they do have slightly different shapes on
the intake boot side, but the Neuspeed one will still fit. So it sounds
like you should upgrade. But unless you just like pissing your cash away,
I'd get one from a junkyard for much cheaper.

Brad

- --