I'm Now owner of a MKII

Well, I boughtt the MKII that I posted about earlier.  It's silver
with black leather interior, AC, just loaded.  The owner was driving
it and had the oil light come on.  He pulled over and oil was coming
out of the coolant overflow.  It was torn down, but no cracks were
found in the head, so they assumed it was the block.  Well, I've
never heard of the 1.8 blocks cracking, but I thought "things
happen".  Well, in talking with my dad, he said that the oil sandwich
adapters are known to crack, leaking oil into the cooling system.
Anybody else heard of this??????  Sounds believable enough.  I'm
towing it over this Sunday.  The body is perfectly straight with no
rust.  Best of all, I picked it up for only $300!!!  But back to the
question I asked, has anybody else had problems with those adapters
leaking??
                   Kris Rayner
    1981 VW Scirocco S - Soon to be a 16V :)-
            "What, behind the rabbit?"
                veritech@fix.net
        http://www.geocities.com/Tokyo/2422/
- --